Most people have good intentions when it comes to saving money. Unfortunately good intentions aren’t always enough. Simply adjusting your daily activities or adding more flexible options in your daily decision-making can help save extra dollars that you can put toward your future, when you need it most.
Here are a few tips on how you can save on food, travel and utilities.
Save on food:
- Dining out costs a bundle, even if it’s pizza or fast food. Pack a cooler for road trips, have friends over to grill out, and freeze meals that can be easily prepared on busy nights.
- Stick to your list. How many times have you gone to the store for a “few things” and come out with a receipt for $100 or more? Impulse buys add up quickly.
- Buy food from local farmers’ markets. It typically costs much less than at the grocery store.
Save on travel:
- If your schedule is flexible, you can find better deals by traveling during the off-season or at the beginning or end of peak season.
- Rent compact cars, which are fuel efficient, less expensive and not as popular with renters. Because fewer are available, you might be eligible for a free upgrade.
- Roll clothes to save space. Pack what you need into a single carry-on bag to save on baggage fees.
Save on utilities:
- Turn your air-conditioned temperature up or your heat down by just a few degrees to noticeably reduce your energy bill. A programmable thermostat can automatically adjust the temperature to further save energy when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Turn off unused appliances and electronics that drain power. Unplug cell phones and other gadgets that are fully charged.
- Turn down the brightness on your big screen TV, which is usually set at very bright for showroom display.
Have more ideas? Think about other areas of spending you can adjust. Daily decision-making can help save extra dollars!
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office
Additional products and services
Talk to a representative to see what's best for you.
MaxProvider® flexible premium deferred annuity
Modern Woodmen of America’s MaxProvider® is a safe way to accumulate retirement savings that can last your lifetime. This flexible premium deferred annuity helps reduce retirement planning uncertainty by eliminating the risk of market volatility and making sure your money is there when you need it – whenever that may be.MaxProvider® Annuity
ScriptSave® WellRx Premier
This card can help members afford the rising costs of prescription medication. The card can also provide savings on vision and hearing care, pet medications, and more.