Buy-sell agreements can be extremely beneficial, especially for a small or family-owned business. If structured properly, they can address and help eliminate potential problems or issues before they arise.
A well-thought-out buy-sell agreement spells out/offers you:
- A known buyer for your business following your planned (or unplanned) departure from the business.
- A known purchase price, allowing you and your family to plan for the future with confidence.
- Estate liquidity in the event of death to help pay state and federal taxes, debts and other estate settlement costs.
- Business value for estate tax purposes, allowing you to plan in advance how your estate tax liability can be paid.
- Stability. By knowing who will lead your company forward, those who depend on your business (your employees, customers, suppliers, creditors, etc.) will feel more secure and be more likely to stay with the company.
- Improved access to credit. Banks and other lenders will be more comfortable extending credit if they know the future of the business is secure.
- Greater retirement security. By knowing how much money you will receive at retirement, including when and from whom, you can begin planning for retirement on your terms without having to depend on the business for ongoing support.
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office
Additional products and services
Talk to a representative to see what's best for you.
Term life insurance
Term life insurance provides low-cost protection and peace of mind for a certain period of time. While permanent protection is an important part of an overall life insurance plan, term insurance can protect you by helping to cover temporary needs, such as helping to pay off your mortgage or other debt. This can be an affordable way to help make sure your dreams and goals are protected.Learn more
The Modern Woodmen Magazine
This quarterly publication is a family and financial resource written and designed exclusively for and about Modern Woodmen members.
Log in to read the latest issue >