Buy-sell agreements can be extremely beneficial, especially for a small or family-owned business. If structured properly, they can address and help eliminate potential problems or issues before they arise.
A well-thought-out buy-sell agreement spells out/offers you:
- A known buyer for your business following your planned (or unplanned) departure from the business.
- A known purchase price, allowing you and your family to plan for the future with confidence.
- Estate liquidity in the event of death to help pay state and federal taxes, debts and other estate settlement costs.
- Business value for estate tax purposes, allowing you to plan in advance how your estate tax liability can be paid.
- Stability. By knowing who will lead your company forward, those who depend on your business (your employees, customers, suppliers, creditors, etc.) will feel more secure and be more likely to stay with the company.
- Improved access to credit. Banks and other lenders will be more comfortable extending credit if they know the future of the business is secure.
- Greater retirement security. By knowing how much money you will receive at retirement, including when and from whom, you can begin planning for retirement on your terms without having to depend on the business for ongoing support.
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office
I'm here to help
Additional products and services
Talk to a representative to see what's best for you.
Universal life insurance
Universal life insurance is a kind of permanent life insurance coverage that provides flexible protection and cash accumulation that you can adjust as your needs change.
Members can apply to receive a $200 bank card and other resources to coordinate a small-scale volunteer project with family and friends. Modern Woodmen will award up to 250 grants per year on a first-come, first-served basis.