Service operations continue
Modern Woodmen service representatives and other home office staff members are available to assist you with your financial requests. That said, most are working remotely, so here are some helpful reminders:
- You can access your account information online. There you can make a payment, update an address or phone number and more.
- Find printable forms online to make requests for beneficiary designation changes, certificate loans and more here.
- Remember that you can contact a local representative, too. Modern Woodmen representatives are equipped for virtual meetings with current members and prospective members. Your local representative is available to answer questions and make certificate update(s). Note that hold times for a home office Service Center rep will likely be longer than normal. A local financial representative may be more readily available to assist you.
- See the FAQ at the bottom of this page for answers to some commonly asked questions.
Fraternal gatherings modified until further notice; other fraternal benefits available
To protect the health and safety of our fraternal volunteer leaders and member participants, Modern Woodmen member chapters, Summit chapters and youth service clubs will not host face-to-face events during this time.
In April and May, Modern Woodmen offered members an alternative way to make an impact (while respecting social-distancing efforts) through a temporary fraternal relief program. Through Modern Woodmen’s COVID-19 Relief Program, Modern Woodmen chapters, Summit chapters and youth service clubs nationwide identified nonprofit or public organizations addressing local issues caused or exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. In total, members donated nearly $1.1 million to these organizations through the program. See how members made an impact through the program and through personal efforts.
Modern Woodmen offers many fraternal benefits that can help members impacted by COVID-19, including:
- Fraternal Aid Fund: Members experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-related medical expenses could qualify to have their life insurance premiums paid by Modern Woodmen for a limited time.
- PerkSpot: Members can receive discounts on thousands of products and services, from groceries to entertainment.
- Final Wishes: Members can complete important planning steps while at home with this interactive online benefit.
- ScriptSave® WellRx: Eligible members can save money on a variety of health care products.
- Do-Good Grant®: Eligible members can receive $100 (and other resources) to plan a volunteer project in their community. The benefit allows members to help from home or through online methods. Modern Woodmen will give away up to 500 grants per year on a first-come, first-served basis.
Learn more and access these benefits on the member website.
Modern Woodmen stands strong for members
- Modern Woodmen of America has been around since 1883, standing strong throughout world wars, national disease outbreaks, depressions and recessions.
- We make long-term financial decisions in the best interest of our members. You can be confident in our financial strength and our ability to meet short- and long-term obligations.
- The organization’s surplus reached over $2 billion at year-end 2019. Surplus and special reserves provide additional safety and ensure our ability to meet unforeseen events.
See Modern Woodmen’s 2019 financial results, and read our FAQ below.
What if I can’t pay my premiums because of the COVID-19 pandemic?
Modern Woodmen is extending its grace period to help members keep their life insurance certificates in force. This extension applies to all in-force Modern Woodmen certificates with premium payments due March 1, 2020, through May 31, 2020. If you are unable to pay premiums due between March 1 and May 31:
- You can defer payments for up to 91 days to keep death-benefit coverage in force.
- At the end of the deferment period, you must pay the missed premiums to keep your certificate in good standing.
- No additional penalties, interest or proof of insurability are required to restore a certificate to premium-paying status in good standing.
- Regular administrative processing will continue, and you will receive normal correspondence for certificates with premiums in default.
If you are unable to pay premiums due between March 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, contact your local Modern Woodmen financial representative.
For members of D.C., New York and New Jersey only, if you continue to suffer a financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic following the extended grace period, you may be eligible to repay deferred premiums over a 12-month period. Please contact Modern Woodmen’s Service Center to discuss options.
What if I still can’t pay my premiums after the extended grace period?
Contact your local Modern Woodmen representative to discuss options. Some Modern Woodmen certificates allow you to reinstate your coverage even after it lapses. Your financial representative can meet with you virtually to help you avoid a further lapse in coverage.
Can someone else make a premium payment on my certificate?
Yes. There are three payment options available:
- Call Modern Woodmen’s Service Center: 309-558-3077 (or toll-free at 800-447-9811), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
- Mail a payment: Modern Woodmen of America, PO Box 2005, Rock Island, IL 61204-2005.
- Use a bank’s online bill pay functionality. (Instructions vary by bank.)
Is Modern Woodmen still paying benefits during the pandemic?
Yes. We keep our promises to members. Modern Woodmen of America has been around since 1883, standing strong throughout world wars, national disease outbreaks, depressions and recessions. We make long-term financial decisions in the best interest of our members. Members can be confident in our financial strength and our ability to meet short- and long-term obligations.
Modern Woodmen’s surplus reached over $2 billion at year-end 2019. Surplus and special reserves provide additional safety and ensure our ability to meet unforeseen events. See Modern Woodmen’s 2019 financial results.
If you need to file a death claim, please visit the Beneficiary Support page – or contact our home office Service Center at 309-558-3077 or 800-447-9811, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
How can I access the cash surrender or account value of my life insurance certificate?
Some certificates (policies) allow you to take a loan against the cash surrender value in your life insurance certificate. Loans are subject to loan interest (at the rate stated in your certificate), which is added to the loan balance annually. Modern Woodmen will send loan interest statements to you every year on your certificate anniversary month. If a loan is outstanding when you die and your certificate is still in force, your beneficiary will receive the death benefit minus the loan balance.
Some certificates allow you to take a partial withdrawal from the accumulated cash surrender value in your life insurance plan. There may be a processing fee for each withdrawal taken, depending on your plan. A partial withdrawal reduces the total death benefit by the amount withdrawn.
Loans and withdrawals may result in a taxable situation. Consult with your tax advisor if you have questions regarding your situation.
Some certificates earn dividends. A release of dividends is similar to a partial withdrawal. There is no fee to release dividends, and you can’t repay a dividend release. If you previously opted to receive paid-up additions to the insurance amount for accumulated dividends, you will forfeit the additional insurance if you withdraw or release the cash value of the dividends.
How can I request a partial withdrawal from my annuity?
You can request partial withdrawals from most annuity certificates over the phone or by completing a partial withdrawal form. Contact your financial representative to learn more.
All or a portion of the withdrawal may be taxable, depending on the type of annuity you have. If any portion is taxable, Modern Woodmen will mail a 1099-R tax form to you the following January for reporting on your income taxes. Contact your financial representative for more information.
How can I get in touch with Modern Woodmen?
- Contact a local Modern Woodmen representative. If you are a current member, you can find your representative’s contact information on all correspondence from Modern Woodmen. Otherwise, enter your ZIP code or city/state at modernwoodmen.org.
- Log in to your member account to make a payment and access account information, online forms and fraternal benefits.
- Contact our home office Service Center at 309-558-3077 or 800-447-9811, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office