Service operations continue
Modern Woodmen service representatives and other home office staff members are available to assist you with your financial requests. There are several service options available to meet your unique needs. Here are some helpful reminders:
- You can access your account information online. There you can make a payment, update an address or phone number and more.
- Find printable forms online to make requests for beneficiary designation changes, certificate loans and more.
- You can contact a local representative or regional office. Modern Woodmen representatives are equipped for virtual meetings with current members and prospective members. Your local representative is available to answer questions and make certificate updates.
- See the FAQ at the bottom of this page for answers to some commonly asked questions.
Fraternal gatherings return; fraternal benefits still available
As of July 1, 2021, Modern Woodmen member chapters, Summit chapters and youth service clubs can again host face-to-face events. In addition to in-person activities, members may also be able to learn, socialize and make an impact through service-at-home, limited-contact and virtual activities. Contact your local chapter or youth service club leader to learn more about upcoming opportunities in your area.
In 2020, Modern Woodmen's COVID-19 Relief Program helped chapters and youth service clubs contribute nearly $1.1 million in direct monetary donations to local nonprofit organizations addressing local issues caused or exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Modern Woodmen continues to offer many fraternal benefits that can help members impacted by COVID-19, including:
- Fraternal Aid Fund: Members experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-related medical expenses could qualify to have their life insurance premiums paid by Modern Woodmen for a limited time.
- PerkSpot: Members can receive discounts on thousands of products and services, from groceries to entertainment.
- Final Wishes: Members can complete important planning steps while at home with this interactive online benefit.
- ScriptSave® WellRx Premier: Members can save money on prescription medications and other medical services.
- Do-Good Grant®: Eligible members can receive $100 (and other resources) to plan a volunteer project in their community. The benefit allows members to help a local cause through in-person events or online methods. Modern Woodmen will give away up to 500 grants per year on a first-come, first-served basis.
Access these benefits and more on the member website.
Modern Woodmen remains strong for members
- Modern Woodmen of America has been around since 1883, standing strong throughout world wars, national disease outbreaks, depressions and recessions.
- We make long-term financial decisions in the best interest of our members. You can be confident in our financial strength and our ability to meet short- and long-term obligations.
- The organization’s surplus exceeded $2 billion at year-end 2020. Surplus and special reserves provide additional safety and ensure our ability to meet unforeseen events.
See Modern Woodmen’s 2020 financial results, and read our FAQ below.
Some Modern Woodmen certificates allow you to reinstate your coverage even after it lapses. Your financial representative can meet with you virtually to help you avoid a further lapse in coverage. Contact your Modern Woodmen representative or Modern Woodmen's Service Center to discuss options for keeping your life insurance in force.
Yes. There are three payment options available:
- Call Modern Woodmen’s Service Center: 309-558-3077 (or toll-free at 800-447-9811), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
- Mail a payment: Modern Woodmen of America, PO Box 2005, Rock Island, IL 61204-2005.
- Use a bank’s online bill pay functionality. (Instructions vary by bank.)
Yes. We keep our promises to members. Modern Woodmen of America has been around since 1883, standing strong throughout world wars, national disease outbreaks, depressions and recessions. We make long-term financial decisions in the best interest of our members. Members can be confident in our financial strength and our ability to meet short- and long-term obligations.
Modern Woodmen’s surplus exceeded $2 billion at year-end 2020. Surplus and special reserves provide additional safety and ensure our ability to meet unforeseen events. See Modern Woodmen’s 2020 financial results.
If you need to file a death claim, please visit the Beneficiary Support page – or contact our home office Service Center at 309-558-3077 or 800-447-9811, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
Yes. Modern Woodmen’s standard practice, which is included in the language of member certificates, is to review all deaths that occur the first two years after the insurance certificate is issued, regardless of how death occurred. A death related to COVID-19 alone would not trigger a review or rejection of life insurance benefits.
Yes. Modern Woodmen’s contracts do not include a provision excluding benefits for a death following the administration of the COVID-19 vaccine. Our standard practice, which is included in the language of member certificate, is to review all deaths that occur the first two years after the insurance certificate is issued, regardless of how death occurred. A death following receipt of the vaccine alone would not trigger a review or rejection of life insurance benefits. We would encourage you to contact your health care professional to determine the best course of action for your unique circumstance.
Some certificates (policies) allow you to take a loan against the cash surrender value in your life insurance certificate. Loans are subject to loan interest (at the rate stated in your certificate), which is added to the loan balance annually. Modern Woodmen will send loan interest statements to you every year on your certificate anniversary month. If a loan is outstanding when you die and your certificate is still in force, your beneficiary will receive the death benefit minus the loan balance.
Some certificates allow you to take a partial withdrawal from the accumulated cash surrender value in your life insurance plan. There may be a processing fee for each withdrawal taken, depending on your plan. A partial withdrawal reduces the total death benefit by the amount withdrawn.
Loans and withdrawals may result in a taxable situation. Consult with your tax advisor if you have questions regarding your situation.
Some certificates earn dividends. A release of dividends is similar to a partial withdrawal. There is no fee to release dividends, and you can’t repay a dividend release. If you previously opted to receive paid-up additions to the insurance amount for accumulated dividends, you will forfeit the additional insurance if you withdraw or release the cash value of the dividends.
You can request partial withdrawals from most annuity certificates over the phone or by completing a partial withdrawal form. Contact your financial representative to learn more.
All or a portion of the withdrawal may be taxable, depending on the type of annuity you have. If any portion is taxable, Modern Woodmen will mail a 1099-R tax form to you the following January for reporting on your income taxes. Contact your financial representative for more information.
- Contact a local Modern Woodmen representative. If you are a current member, you can find your representative’s contact information on all correspondence from Modern Woodmen. Otherwise, enter your ZIP code or city/state at reps.modernwoodmen.org.
- Log in to your member account to make a payment and access account information, online forms and fraternal benefits.
- Contact our home office Service Center at 309-558-3077 or 800-447-9811, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Central).
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office