Dec. 7, 2016
A.M. Best assigns Modern Woodmen an A (Excellent) rating with a stable outlook
A.M. Best Company, an independent insurance industry rating agency, has adjusted Modern Woodmen of America’s financial strength rating from A+ (Superior) with a negative outlook to A (Excellent) with a stable outlook.
A (Excellent) is the third highest of 15 ratings measuring stability, security and management performance. The continued low interest rate environment has impacted the insurance industry as a whole. In a climate of little to no improvement in rates of return, the downgrade from A+ (Superior) to A (Excellent) was not a surprise to Modern Woodmen.
Reasons for Modern Woodmen’s top-three rating include:
- Risk-adjusted capitalization that remains more than adequate to support its insurance and investment risks.
- A well-diversified investment portfolio that is viewed as having low risk exposure relative to the industry.
- Steady, long-term growth in assets, surplus and life insurance in force.
The outlook for the rating is stable and reflects financial results through September 2016. Focused on long-term decisions in the best interest of its members, Modern Woodmen maintains financial strength and the ability to meet short- and long-term obligations.
- Modern Woodmen’s assets have grown from $10.2 billion in 2010 to more than $15 billion today. Asset quality continues to remain strong.
- Surplus has grown from $1.2 billion in 2010 to $1.6 billion now.
- As of Sept. 30, 2016, Modern Woodmen’s solvency ratio was 112.07 percent. For every $100 of liabilities – promises made to members – Modern Woodmen has $112 of assets to back up those promises.
- We’ve paid out nearly $5 billion dollars in certificate benefits to our members from 2010 to the present.
- Fraternally, Modern Woodmen has put over $100 million into its members’ communities through fraternal member benefits and programs since 2010.
- Distributions to members in the form of dividends since 2010 have been in excess of $90 million.
- Since 2010, life insurance in force has increased from $33.9 billion to over $38 billion.
Since 1883, Modern Woodmen of America has touched lives and secured futures. The fraternal financial services organization serves members for life, offering financial products and fraternal member benefits to individuals and families throughout the United States.
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office